By Dan Rockwell via leadershipfreak.blog Article
4 Ways To Recapture The Lost Art Of Making People Feel They Matter
“Energy, commitment, and engagement go up when people feel they matter.
- Be interested. Listening skills are an offense apart from genuine interest in people. Be more interested in people than in what they can do for you. Get out of leadership if you don’t care about people.
- Make it safe.
- Express esteem. Let people know you respect them.
- Honor vulnerability. Whenever a person speaks their real truth, pause and say thank you.
- Remove barriers and distractions. Turn off notifications. Turn away from computer screens.
- Engage with ideas.
- Ask questions.
- Say it back. Use their words.
- Say, ‘This makes me think…’
- Explore assumptions.
- What made you think of this?
- Where does this come from?
- What’s important to you about this?”