Create more than you consume
“If you make yourself available to focus deeper on what you’re consuming, you’re giving yourself a better opportunity to connect at an emotional level, retain more of what you consume, and use that to your advantage when you need to be creative later. …
I’ve found myself guilty of skimming through tweets, articles, and videos, thinking that I’m retaining everything. The reality is, most of what I thought I was learning will slip right through. …
The Learning Pyramid states that people retain:
- 90% of what they learn when they teach someone else/use immediately.
- 75% of what they learn when they practice what they learned.
- 50% of what they learn when engaged in a group discussion.
- 30% of what they learn when they see a demonstration.
- 20% of what they learn from audio-visual.
- 10% of what they learn when they’ve learned from reading.
- 5% of what they learn when they’ve learned from lecture.
… Sean D’Souza, author of Psychotactics.com, states:
Listening or reading something is just listening or reading.
It’s not real learning.
Real learning comes from making mistakes.
And mistakes come from implementation.”