Via spring.org.uk Article
10 Simple Habits Proven to Make You Happier
“… ten everyday habits which science has shown can make people happier.
Here are the 10 habits, with the average ratings of survey participants on a scale of 1-10, as to how often they performed each habit:
- Giving: do things for others — 7.41
- Relating: connect with people — 7.36
- Exercising: take care of your body — 5.88
- Appreciating: notice the world around — 6.57
- Trying out: keep learning new things — 6.26
- Direction: have goals to look forward to — 6.08
- Resilience: find ways to bounce back — 6.33
- Emotion: take a positive approach — 6.74
- Acceptance: be comfortable with who you are — 5.56
- Meaning: be part of something bigger — 6.38
… The survey showed that one of the largest associations between these happy habits and reported happiness was for self-acceptance. This category, though, got the lowest rating for people actually performing the habit, with an average of only 5.56. …
Increase your self-acceptance
Here are three ways to boost your self-acceptance, as suggested by the researchers:
‘1. Be as kind to yourself as you are to others. See your mistakes as opportunities to learn. Notice things you do well, however small.
2. Ask a trusted friend or colleague to tell you what your strengths are or what they value about you.
3. Spend some quiet time by yourself. Tune in to how you’re feeling inside and try to be at peace with who you are.'”