- Get things done.
- Want the job done right.
- Have confidence and grit.
- Don’t need to be told what to do.
- Make important contributions.
Competence gets in the way, when you do it yourself. …
- Know what makes teammates tick. Project: Make a list of your teammates. Now, list their passions, character traits, skills, and aspirations. How will you help them develop and express their best?
- See energy in others and fuel it. Successful leaders constantly follow, manage, and fuel energy. People with energy represent the future.
- Ask, ‘What do you think?’
- Say, ‘You try,’ after brief explanations. Skill is developed as you go, not before you go.
- Allow others to struggle, but stand ready to help.
- Give meaning to jobs by explaining the big picture.
- Accept that it takes time to develop skills.
- Do one-time activities themselves, if they are good at them.
- Assign stretch projects.
- Help people find their confident stride. It’s better to go slow now to go fast later.”