15 Ways to lead with heart
“Leaders with heart:
- Say what they really think. Posturing reflects a closed heart.
- Remain predictable. Practice the ritual of touching base with teammates in the morning, for example.
- Reject the trappings of position. They won’t connect with you when you seem high and mighty.
- Live by values more than results.
- Create safe environments. Beastly leaders use fear to coerce compliance.
- Expose their own weaknesses that strengthen connection, but don’t foster entitlement or indulgence. Be “one of” not “one above.”
- Show interest in teammate’s family members. You connect with others by showing interest in their children, for example.
- Get out of your office.
- Honor the skills, passions, and strengths of others. Let others shine.
- Express tenderness toward others even as you expect excellence from them.
- Admit their own mistakes.
- Ask forgiveness for offenses.
- Stand with people who screw up.
- Express gratitude.
- Support the development of teammates and teams.
… All heart without results is weak. All results without heart is ugly.”