“Liars lie for gain, protection, or harm. Lies are self-serving manipulations that violate trust. Some lies are malicious. Others are spoken for personal gain. Still others are silent omissions. The lies we tell include:
- I’m sick.
- Customers come first.
- There’s just this one little problem.
- People are our most valuable asset.
- That’s great. …
Caught in a lie:
… giving liars second chances … ‘It depends.’
- … Was the liar protecting someone? Were they protecting some deeply held secret of their own, the exposure of which would harm them? …
- Did the person fess up about the lie, or were they caught?
- Is the lie an outlier? Or is it an extension of other lies, or worse an escalation.”