By Dan Rockwell Article
How to Overcoming People Pleasing
“Wanting another’s approval is healthy. Needing it is sick.
You can’t please all the people even some of the time.
“The disease to please,” as psychologist Harriet Braiker likes to call it, is a form of addiction. Just as a drug addict seeks drugs, a people pleaser seeks approval.
Are you a people pleaser?
- Say yes too much and no too little.
- Find it difficult to express your true feelings.
- Feel devastated when others don’t like you.
- Don’t speak up when you think others will disagree.
- Fear rejection.
- Take criticism personally.
Leading through the need to please
- Accept that others won’t always like you.
- Embrace disagreement and learn from it.
- Press through resistance.
- Preserve relationships even when you say no.
Overcoming addiction to people pleasing
- Don’t swing from people pleasing to people offending. ….”